Switching the kiosks on and off
- To switch the unit on find the hole in the back of the enclosure to the right of the scanner and insert a pen or pencil. The tablet doesn't give any feedback to pushing the button. Be patient as turning on can take 5-10 seconds. The barcode scanner will beep and the kiosk will start.
- You do not need to turn the kiosks off. They will automatically switch themselves off at 8pm every day. Please don't turn them off at the plugs as they can recover any lost battery overnight.
Turning the kiosk on and off
Slip printer problems
The kiosk will display an error if it can't print to the slip printer, instructing customers to tell the desk.
The first thing to do when the slip printer isn't working is to check it's connected to the network:
- If it uses a wifi bridge (see picture below) check there's a cable running from the bridge to the printer, and that the bridge is turned on (the bridge plugs into a normal wall socket).
- Check that the bridge is connected to the network. The button in the middle should be blue or green, and not flashing. If it's red switch the bridge off and on and wait a minute or so for it to connect.
- If the printer is connected to a normal network port, check the cables are inserted properly.
A wifi bridge
If everything is connected simply turn the printer off and on, making the sure the lights go off before turning it back on. Test if printing is working by scanning a library card and renewing all titles on the card and pressing 'Print receipt'.
When the printer came back on it will have printed some information. The important piece of information is the IP address.
Login to the kiosk by scanning an admin barcode (you should have been provided with a white admin barcode when we set the kiosk up). Check that Host under the Printer settings matches the IP address (note that the IP address will be preceded by 'http://' in the kiosk settings). If it doesn't, change the Host setting to 'http://[IP address]' (e.g. 'http://192.168.154.201')
If the slip printer still doesn't work contact IT Support.
If the kiosk stops working you can turn it off manually by inserting a pen or pencil into the hole on the back of the tablet and to the right of the barcode scanner. Keep the pen or pencil inserted until you get a message asking you to slide the screen down. Slide the screen down and the kiosk will turn off. Turn it back on as per the instructions above.
You can stop the kiosk app running by taking the tablet out of the enclosure, attaching the keyboard and pressing the ctrl, alt and delete keys to run the Windows task manager. You should then close Google Chrome from the list of running programs. You'll then see a normal Windows 10 desktop. Restart the kiosk app by restarting the tablet and reinserting it into the enclosure.
Press the ctrl, alt and del keys at the same time and select 'Task Manager'
Removing/inserting the tablet from/into the enclosure
Insert the key into the lock located behind the screen. You can then slide the tablet and its tray out from the left hand side, and reinsert it. Make sure you detach the scanner lead and the power lead before removing the tablet. When you reinsert the tablet make sure you turn it on first and the on and off buttons are facing down, on the right hand side.
Unlock the enclosure with the key we've provided
Slide the tray from the enclosure
Unplug the power and scanner cables
Remove the tray from the enclosure
Remove the tablet from the tray
Attach the keyboard